Dog’s social cognition is a topic of curiosity for scientists of the twenty-first century. They are the most beautiful friends to humankind, and we can never payback for their love and loyalty. Having a dog as a pet reduces loneliness manifold and a dog on a lawn is a sight for sore eyes. And we believe that your dog and your lawn need the best grass for dogs to coexist harmoniously.
Without good pet grass in your lawn, you are stuck between your “Good boy” and your beloved lawn. Playtime is crucial for your dog and its health, and a lawn is the most convenient way to give him that. But you also love your lawn. It’s the place that gives you space for mental peace and “me time.”
So it would help if you made decisions that keep your dog and your lawn healthy and thriving. The best way to do it is, choose from the best dog grass available in the market and dump the regular one. With a dog, you’ll need grass that can coexist with your dog and still look lush green.
How can your dog cause any harm to the grass on your lawn?
Dogs love playing games, but it gets a bit cringy when the lawn starts developing patches of dried grass. You can tame your dog to choose one spot for urination and feces. But till it’s a baby or not trained, your garden is a constant threat of looking sick.
Dog’s Urine is acid-rich and causes permanent damage to your lawn. The PH in a dog’s urine is above seven which is lethal for your lawn. It does damage not only the grass but also the turf, which means long-term damage.
This makes pet grass a crucial part of your lawn as well as your pet’s health so why not do a little research about some of the best grass for dogs and choose a happy healthy lifestyle for your dog.
How to ensure a healthy lawn and your dog’s health
You cannot compromise on either. Regular fertilizers can bring allergies to your dog and still do not ensure the quality of grass blades. So how about choosing from reliable and reviewed the best grass for dogs with promising quality.
Process of plantation
For a New Lawn: Rake the ground about two-inch deep and remove the debris and any stone/shrubs etc.
Overseeding the old one: Just mow the patches or the entire lawn if needed, rake the patches slightly after removing dead roots/grass and make sure the soil is ready to be sowed.
Plant the seeds with a good spreader: All good spreaders come with a manual. You can learn the setting from the manual and use it easily to distribute the seed mixture.
Rake once more: Just to be sure that no seed is left on the surface, rake the ground one last time.
Water: Once all the seeds are buried in the soil, hydrate them well. And keep the ground hydrated for almost three weeks.
1: GreenView 2829348 Turf Type Tall Fescue – Best turf for dogs
As they say, the stronger the base, the stronger the structure. Turf-Type Tall Fescue by GreenView is tough dog grass. The turf is relatively stronger and more durable than the normal ones. That is why the grass blades grown out of this turf are resilient to environmental conditions.
The dense root system develops a dense turf and supports the rigidly standing grass blades. This dog grass is also more recommended because it processes a type of fungus that’ll keep the insects away from your lawn.
The Key Takeaways:
- It’s a Tall Fescue, so it will give thick blades but also it means that it grows in small bunches. The best thing is, it’ll stay where you want to keep it, but you’ll have to keep looking for bare patches and re-seed them till it’s full. Once done, you have your grass carpet that never goes old.
- The seed is strong and it can take pressure from extreme weather. This grass can grow in different environments, from shadow to sunny, it thrives in both situations.
- The fungus in fescue keeps the insects away. So you do not need to worry about any insects getting into the beautiful shiny coat of your dog or causing any allergies.
- Does not repair or heal quickly, but this dog grass has thick and strong blades, so no matter how much traffic or rush it faces, it will not disappoint you easily. Besides, It might grow back a little slowly, but it is the most beautiful green carpet you’ll have. And quite hard to destroy.
- Instead of coating the seeds, the mulch is modified and enriched with reinforcing nutritions. It protects the seeds during germination.
- “Your satisfaction or your money back” is the motto of the manufacturer.
- Did we say it grows slowly? Well, 2 weeks is a regular slow for GreenView, just like any other grass.
- The grass can withstand all weather (desert or pasture plains) regardless of how extreme it is, so you have to worry less about weather conditions.
- Uncoated seeds mean more seeds in promised weight.
- Since this grass came out of fescue, it grows on its own, so after following the simple irrigation procedure, you do not need to hustle too much for its growth. This one really is a bloomer.
- Play with your dog as much as you want, and even have his/her birthday party on the lawn. But never drag a very heavy table or anything that can press the blades. Fescue is rigid and takes a lot of pressure, but let’s not test them. Or else, it’ll grow back, but will take time and till then your lawn will look like having crop circles with alien codes.
2: Kentucky Bluegrass Mix-7 lb – Best pet safe grass seed
For the Northern US, Kentucky Bluegrass is the best grass for dogs and your lawn on the list. It is a quality product for other regions, but its caliber to face harsh winters of the Northern region has no match. Kentucky turf builder is perennial, It does demand some care in the initial irrigation process, but it’s a one-time investment. Once your lawn is set, the grass will repair itself from drought, heat, or high traffic damages.
- Kentucky Bluegrass can tolerate temperature and repair itself in case of sunburn.
- It can stand dehydration and regrow after medium drought conditions. If somehow you forgot to water it, it won’t go nuts on you.
- When you’re playing with your kids, having a party on your lawn, or throwing a frisbee at your dog, it’ll leave traceable damage to your lawn’s grass. The good news is, If your turf and seeds are from Scott’s, you don’t need to worry a lot. A little care and your grass blades will be as fresh as new. So whatever the condition might be, Grass on your lawn will be greener.
- It grows and heals faster in winters/ cold regions.
How it Grows
- The seed begins to sprout from 7 to 14 days.
- Kentucky Bluegrass is ready to be mowed once the blades reach 3 inches.
- Moderate shades are recommended for better growth.
- When your seeds are in the ground, make sure you water them twice a day for three weeks. Keep watering it till it’s two inches long. It strengthens the turf and helps the seeds grow quickly.
- Seeds are coated in three layers for high productivity. The first layer protects the seed from diseases, the second layer seals the moisture for twice the duration of regular seed. The third layer has nutritions that help the seed grow quicker and healthier.
- Grow a self-curing long-lasting lawn for your dog and you.
While planting/ repairing the dog grass on the lawn, it is reasonable to worry about weeds and shrubs that are harmful or unhealthy. But here’s what you’ve never supposed to do or all your effort will be a waste.
- Do not pour any weed preventives when the soul is raked and ready to be sowed. There are rare products in the market that suggest otherwise but using Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer is highly recommended.
3: Pennington Smart Seed Perennial RyeGrass – Best grass for dog urine spot
How to grow grass with dogs quickly enough, so your pet doesn’t have to wait too long?
Perennial Rye is the best grass for dogs as it does not make you or your “little-paw” wait too long. Perennial is fast-growing good quality dog grass. It is not a talk of the town brand but has a very consistent reputation. Perennial happens to be the least time-consuming dog grass available.
It is also insects repellent so you and your dog can play and stay healthy. The only drawback is its weak root system. Roots are not too dense and long, so they might not spread all over the lawn. And you might need to do some patchwork but once it’s planted perfectly, it’s good to go.
- The most suitable blooming period for this dig grass is Summer or winter. It embraces extreme weather.
- Faster germination compared to any other dog grass available in the market.
- In winters, the grass goes greener. Let your neighbors see how the grass looks when it actually is greener.
- US-originated pure-bred Pennington, it’s made on the soil of the USA.
- Highly productive seeds, sprouts quickly (In a couple of DAYS).
- Takes around 6 to 8 hours of sunbath, better not keep it shaded.
- If you’re looking for something with reasonable traffic tolerance and not so heavy-duty lawn, this is the fastest and best dog grass. In fact, if your lawn only hosts your dog, it’s the best option. In case he wears and tears it, you do not have to wait 15 to 20 days for your lawn to look presentable.
- Perennial Ray is your quick and easy solution.
- Do not let it dehydrate as it thrives in cool weather and needs regular watering to grow and survive in summers or hot weather.
4: Zoysia Sod Plugs – Dog resistant grass seed
Zoysia is a warm seasoned grass seed for dogs. This best sod for dogs grows denser and is insect repellent in nature. Takes longer in growth compared to other grass for dogs, and spreads evenly and densely. It can take traffic from dogs and people. Since Zoysia comes in sod plugs (18 counts per tray) and not in seeds, it follows the same procedure for a new and repairable lawn. Dig small holes and plug them in the area.
The roots are long and store water, it grows slow but dense. It thrives in opposite weather, cold/warm but needs high maintenance and check and balance in moderate weather. Zoysia is a popular choice for South or transitional zones where the weather keeps fluctuating. It usually goes brownish dry in winters but takes longer than usual products.
The Key Takeaways
- The company claimed that this dog-proof grass grows rather slowly, however, we found the growth rate rather high than promised. It actually does not take too long.
- It is ideal for warm areas but also responds well in colder regions. They need a little sunlight.
- The sod plugs spread longer roots in the soil and the grass spread equally in your lawn.
- It can handle regular traffic and the dog’s paws and even feces without getting damaged.
- With slight maintenance and watering, the area that is anyways damaged by the dog’s urine recovers quickly. So we can say that it is one of the best grass for dogs.
- The grass stores a lot of water and blooms best in heat and Sun.
- Pays for the price in terms of quality
- Planting sod plugs gives you leverage. Whenever your lawn is slightly patchy and does not respond, you can simply plant a new sod plug and watch it cope up with the rest of your lawn. Unlike raking and plantation, it’s simpler. And requires less pampering.
- Do not plant it under shades or in covered areas. It needs sunlight for growth.
- DO not plant in winters. Might not give you the results you’re seeking.
- Do not keep the plugs from the soil for a longer period. For a couple of days, if you’re not planning to plant these, then keep them moisturized. Keep watering them and then plant.
5: DoggieLawn Real Grass Dog Potty (Disposable)
Now, this is some real deal. We know you love your pets but what if you cannot afford a big giant lawn. Or what if you live in a penthouse apartment with your dog or some busy residential area with no room for the lawn. Dogs are highly trained and can be trained into the most convenient potty training.
But what if you can afford something that does not defy their nature and is easy to manage. DoggieLAwn is ranked down in the list but it is the best dog grass we found for busy dog owners. It is the most convenient pet grass for dogs and their owners.
The Key Takeaways
- A rectangular box with 24 x 20-inch dimensions can solve many dog grass
- You can take your dog to the park for a walk in your leisure time but at home, he can enjoy a little grass patch of his own.
- It’s disposable. Within a couple of weeks, you can throw it away and replace it with a new one. In return, you get a happy, clean pet.
- The company is offering free training for untrained dogs. Your dog might be habitual of indoor (flush) excretion but a healthy grass patch can do a lot better to his/her health. As grass or mud is their true nature.
- The grass is planted in a hard cardboard box that prevents any kind of leakage. The original grass moderates the bad odor and makes your dog comfortable.
- Since the manufacturer uses 5 different types of grass to build light and healthy dog grass, you can check and contact the company for personalized training and product for your dog.
- Need a new purchase every three weeks. Which is pretty reasonable compared to other litter materials.
- We did not find anything worth complaining about, However, it is highly recommended to do a trial for assurance. Make your dog use the grass mat and observe the health. It’s safe to use but we are cautious even without cosmetics. Why not take similar steps for your dog and ensure their safety.
6: Forest Grass: Artificial Carpet Fake Grass Synthetic Thick Lawn Pet Turf
While choosing the best dog-proof grass, we made sure that we found every convenient product available. We understand that not everyone has the time to go for proper gardening. Forest grass is artificial grass designed to give satisfaction to real grass.
It saves you from all the irrigation, watering, and gardening efforts (No offense to gardening loves). Also, our main concern was to look for something for your dogs. So we found these artificial and durable patches of grass for dogs. Now, the question is, is grass good for dogs? Well, it’s perfectly safe grass for dogs.
The Key Takeaways
- Forest grass is made of high-quality UV-resistant polyethylene & polypropylene. It is fire-resistant and can stand strong sunburns without getting damaged
- The synthetic materials used in the grass are completely environment friendly and safe for your dog too.
- The threads/blades are densely stitched together through “Spine” yarn to ensure quality and concentration in each grass mat.
- It’s lab-approved for color degradation so no matter how harsh the weather might get, the color will not fade.
- Rubber-coated mat holding the grass blades tightly still with or without ant infill. The mat is waterproof and will stand heavy rain and sunburn without losing the blade’s tightness.
- Can be placed on the soft or concrete ground and it’ll hold the ground firmly.
- Perfect pet grass for dogs.
- Comes with a 14 years warranty. And you do not need to keep replacing it.
- Brush it well or wash it once in a while for dust.
- No need for infill but the use of infills is not forbidden.
- This pet grass is perfect for a dog’s playground BUT, do not let him urinate on it. It can stand the acid but it’ll get difficult to get rid of the bad odor. For a potty-trained dog, it’s the most friendly pet grass Save a lot of time and energy for you.
- We hope the company might develop the product a little more in the future and find a solution for urine odor too, but for now, better keep your dog potty trained.
7: PETMAKER Artificial Grass – Best pet safe grass seed
We have gone through a vast range of products from pet-safe grass seed to patches of grass for dogs just to make sure you find the product most suited to your needs. With a synthetic grass pad, you don’t need to install an entire garden or small patches here and there when one patch does it all. As we’ve put in efforts to find the best grass for dogs.
The Key Takeaways
- This dog training pad consists of three layers.
- The collection tray at the bottom of the pad is plastic-made, safe, and environment friendly and takes care of your dog’s feces and urine. It’s easy to wash, dry, and reinstall.
- The plastic insert filters the liquid (Urine) and lets it pass to the collection tray.
- The mat on top of the plastic insert has microbes that lock the odor of urine and feces and keep the pad clean and odorless.
- It’s a perfect product for indoor use. Let the dogs do their business in a natural way.
- The size of the pad is 20” x 25” x 1.25” inches. It’s rectangular, easy to clean, and move the pad.
- The grass pad is designed to lock the bad odor and keep it clean. It is artificial grass without any odor of its own. So your dog might or might not feel hesitant using it. You’ll need some sod to place on the grass so your dog can smell and knows it’s his/her potty place. Use treats and reinforcements for encouragement.
Donald David is a Botanist who knows well about different types of weeds and how these are used to make medicines. He also knows well that sometimes weeds are not good at your lawn and create huge damages to favorite plants and animals. So, he aimed to describe weed killer products.